Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Been Awhile

Since it's been awhile I figured I would post something here. I realize I have been remiss.

So, here goes. On FaceBook the other day I got into a rather amusing situation. A potential predator/pedobear was hassling a friend of my nieces who is also on my friends list. So being me, I made a comment. He slowly began to focus his attentions on me and left her alone.

I bring this up however as it struck me that he was trying to pretend he was smarter than he really was. I had made a comment to him that he did not understand at all so I retorted with "Well, to a sadly lacking intellect it would not make sense.". He then attempted to Grammar Nazi me by saying I had used the wrong word in that sentence.

Now, while I enjoy a good debate I had to do nothing more than laugh about this. A simple phrase that even most reasonable people over the age of, say about, six years old would be able to understand. Now, this person claimed to be 18 years old and in college pursuing a medical degree. However he could not understand a simple phrase? What the hell is this world coming too?

These are the people who are going to end up in charge of this world in a few years. These will be the people who we will rely on for everything from A to Z. Which means your medical care will be in the hands of someone who uses "Wll if u wld jst stp beeing tht wy and tink bout sich tings as wht u say". Yeah, scary huh?

Or how about the politician how points to Canada on a map while extolling the troubles in the country of Europe? How's that for a scary thing? And they will not only be in charge of the laws in this country but also our nuclear weapons. How would like you to go to war because "Dat hoe dun dissed me and biatch wld't give no head!"?? Think you will be sleeping now?

Try this on for size. Have any soon to be school age kids? Better teach them how to write as most school no longer teach hand writing and cursive. Remember having to go through that chore so we could "Write like real people do"? Yeah, I hated it too and came to realize most places of business wanted you to print things written documents since they are easier to read that way.

So what are we to do about this? Well, to be honest the only answer I have is to educate our kids against such things. Let them know while there are certain situations that type of thing would be okay (I can't think of one off hand though) but the real world doesn't work that way.  Ultimately it falls to us as parents to help with the education of our kids. Remember, we aren't just helping them with this, we are in the long run helping ourselves as well. Keep in mind, these are the people we are going to leave in charge of everything sooner or later.

Assuming we have anything left for them to be in charge of that is. With the way the world is going right now I am not sure what we will be leaving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment